Sunday, January 1, 2012

Earth Fare shopping

To celebrate the New Year, on the recommendation of a friend, I headed out to a yoga studio roughly 45 minutes from my house for a one hour and fifteen minute power vinyasa class! To say that the class was worth the drive was a complete understatement. The class was remarkable. Very focused, yet the atmosphere (which was more than likely 90 degrees) was light and happy. The teacher, Shane, was very uplifting and enlightening and pushed us to wonderful limits in our first "down dog" of 2012!

Mark and I have planned to go shopping tomorrow morning, to compile recipes tonight and hit the ground running. We had planned to head to Earth Fare, however, Earth Fare is around the corner from the yoga studio I visited this morning, so I decided to have a go at it by myself! Although preparing for our detox, I also had to be mindful of the dinner we are having with friends next Saturday to honor Mark's birthday. With my current issue of Bon Appetite (thank you to my lovely Aunt) in hand, I headed in to find everything from my ginger root to garlic, to my whole organic chicken. For Mark's birthday dinner I will be making an eggplant dish, as well as a soup. Even though these do not fall under the detox, its before the 8th so we are safe! I did pick a number of items up, or tried to, that would help us a long with the detox. First, finding products that are gluten free, sugar free and on and on is a task in and of itself! I was able to find a pizza crust (now if I could just find a recipe for a sauce that does not contain sugar), and some other staple items that I know will make the month of January run much smoother. Oh, and I did find all the goodies for the eggplant recipe and the soup! I also picked up ingredients to make a cleansing ginger broth. It calls for chicken, which is how we are going to have it today, however, I am going to try to make is sans chicken for the detox. Trial and error may be the key this week!

Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. Hola Amy! It's Erik! Yup, finding gluten free, sugar free is pretty tough! If you're going TOTALLY raw, then it won't matter because all of your ingredients are naturally gluten and sugar free :) I do have a BUNCH of recipes and books on Raw eating. They are all really pretty easy and fun to make as well! As for the sugar free pizza sauce...make your own! Most of the stewed tomatoes do not have sugar, but if some do, there are plenty of brands that do not. Take a can or two (depending on how much you need) and add in some tomato paste (for thickness). Add some oregano, thyme, basil and garlic (all dried or fresh, up to you) and you've got some pretty good fresh pizza sauce. 99% of the time it tastes better than what they have in cans anyhow! Good luck and let me know if you guys need anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy! Jax said you had quite a few cookbooks, etc., so I may have to come over and pick some of those up! It wont honestly matter with the pizza, the dough requires an egg which is off limits for the detox. I did find gluten and sugar free pasta noodles, and have a few good recipes for a pasta sauce, so that might be a good alternative for us to try! This is going to be quite an experience. Thank you for the encouragement and be ready for some telephone calls from Mark I am sure!!!

    ReplyDelete